Claussen’s Florist, Greenhouse & Perennial Farm in Colchester, VT is currently seeking an experienced and licensed Head Grower to join our team managing all aspects of growing, watering, and crop maintenance. The right candidate must be passionate about horticulture and a formal education in plant & soil science. Professional nursery experience with houseplants, annuals, vegetables, perennials, and seasonal crops is required.
The head grower is responsible for the overall growing and maintenance of plants to ensure proper plant growth and health. These responsibilities would include knowledge of pest infestation, irrigation management, chemical applications, pruning techniques as well as the knowledge and ability to recognize plant health problems. Also includes the ability to measure and correctly mix and apply fertilizer as per established protocols. Candidates should have 3-5 year growing experience in a greenhouse environment.
Responsibilities to include:
- Controls plant growth of multiple crops throughout the year
- Develop and manage growing and care protocols for plant material.
- Maintain propagation ideals and growing schedules for all production crops to ensure adequate rooting and growth.
- Manage plant nutrition and protection, pest and disease control.
- Manage crop records such as pesticide applications, fertilizations and watering schedules, etc.
- Manage and ordering of all fertilizers, fungicides, insecticides, growth regulators and equipment.
- Set and monitor watering and fertilization schedules to maintain optimum growth.
- Communicate quality or scheduling problems to appropriate parties in timely manner.
- Communicate with others on growing staff as to changes in procedures, crop requirements, assignments for propagators, etc.
- Daily Environmental controls and regulations checks.
- Manage and schedule work for growing staff. Required to wear a radio to be available for problem solving and providing information to staff.
- Willingness to work overtime, evenings and weekends hours.
- Monitor employees to ensure all safety rules housekeeping rules and procedures are adhered to.
- Ensure schedule for proper maintenance of greenhouses and equipment is followed by growing and maintenance staff.
- Assist in training of associate growers.
JOB SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Minimum AA degree/BA degree in Horticulture or related field preferred.
- Minimum of Five (5) years in propagating and/or growing experience in container products.
- Current pesticide license required.
- Effectively demonstrate leadership skills through setting a good role model for others, using interpersonal skills when dealing with difficult matters
- Ability to effectively communicate using verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality when dealing with employee issues or in dealing with other supervisors and managers.
- Ability to analyze and make decisions on best methods while using good judgment and working with your team.
This is a Full-time (40+ hrs), year-round position, Weekends are a must. This position requires a 6+ day work week during April/May/June (Spring Season).
All candidates must be able to work in extreme fluctuating temperatures (indoor and outdoor), as well as standing all day and lifting 35+ pounds, as this is a very physical job that.
Starting Wage: $25.00/ hour
Benefits available after waiting period: PTO, Paid Holidays, Health & Dental Insurance.
Send resume and cover letter attention to Chris Conant (co-owner) at firstname.lastname@example.org