Communications Manager – Horsford Gardens and Nursery
Starts part-time in April/May 2023, Moves to full-time, year-round in June/July 2023
Reports to: Nursery Owner
Horsford Gardens and Nursery has been growing plants for Vermont gardens since 1893. To sell those plants, Horsford’s communicates using captivating imagery and informative content. The nursery is seeking the next person to lead its internal and external communication programs. This is a challenging and rewarding position that combines a passion for plants with expertise in technology and communication.
The ideal candidate strikes a balance of both detail orientation and creative, big-picture thinking. Experience with data management and marketing are equally important. The nursery industry is very busy during peak seasons so proper planning and adherence to deadlines are just as important as artistic design. A knowledge of the hardy trees, shrubs, and perennials that grow in Vermont’s climate is extremely helpful, as is an understanding of botanical nomenclature, though this can be learned on the job. A concise and approachable voice is necessary in the nursery’s communication.
Horsford’s uses different software to meet its goals including: Heartland Retail Point of Sale (POS), BigCommerce, Mailchimp, ACT CRM, Asana, Excel, and Adobe Creative Suite. The ideal candidate has experience with these programs (or similar ones) and shows the ability to learn quickly. While professional photography experience isn’t required, an artful, visual eye and the ability to take quality pictures is important. At least three to five years of work experience in these related fields is required.
The Communications Manager works on their own day-to-day, and also participates in weekly manager meetings and assists fellow staff. The ability to work efficiently independently and as part of a team is vital.
MARKETING & EVENTS
- Create and implement annual marketing budget and sales schedule using traditional and digital media channels
- Write, photograph for, and distribute weekly e-newsletters to retail and commercial customers
- Design ads for various platforms that include print, direct mail, Google ads, and other digital sites
- Promote and coordinate nursery events, including the nursery’s annual Art in the Garden program
- Market nursery’s seasonal wreaths business and oversee nationwide shipping logistics
- Create content for and manage social channels
- Organize nursery photo library with proper titling (continued)
- Administer ecommerce systems and ensure software integrations function properly
- Work closely with other nursery managers to showcase online plant catalog of over 3,000 products with variants totaling 6,000+ SKU
- Update website content regularly to reflect sales, seasonal interest, and relevant events
- Identify website needs that require third-party developer assistance
- Administer nursery’s POS System and oversee settings, promotions, and users
- Coordinate commercial customer program with owner
- Order office supplies
- Communicate IT needs to third-party contractor
- Assist fellow staff with inventory management
- Showcase nursery’s work culture in external communication
- Work closely with owner on hiring, employee scheduling, and staff events
- Prepare company policies and onboarding paperwork
- The Communications Manager works primarily at a computer in an office setting
- Some time is spent photographing outdoors around the nursery in all types of weather
- Retirement Plan – Immediate SIMPLE IRA with 3% match
- Paid holidays
- Paid time off program
- Generous employee discount
LOCATION & HIRING TIMELINE
This position is based in Charlotte, Vermont. The Communications Manager works Monday-Friday, 8 AM – 4:30 PM. An in-person presence is desired for the majority of the job. Occasional work from home is possible. The ideal timeline for this position would be to start part-time in April/May 2023, moving to full-time in June/July 2023. This position is full-time, year-round.
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Charlie Proutt at email@example.com and copy Jessica Becker at firstname.lastname@example.org.